Wednesday 16 January 2013

Involuntary Game of Corners in Laos Mountains.


So the next morning we mucked about a bit, then bought some lunch and made sure we were back at the guest house by 1.15pm as we were supposed to be picked up by 1.30. We waited and waited. The reception guy kept calling the office where we bought the ticket and they kept saying the driver was delayed and should be there in 5 - 10 minutes. I was getting a bit cross. It was probably partially because they had a big screen T.V. in the reception area which still had the protective plastic thing over the screen!!! (One of my pet peeves!) Finally I rang them again and said that if someone wasn't there in 5 minutes I was coming to get my money back! 5 Minutes later a tuk-tuk driver came and got us. It was 10 to 3! We were a bit surprised to be picked up by a tuk-tuk as we were told we were getting picked up by the mini van. We were taken to a bus station of sorts on the outskirts of town where we were deposited next to a mini van and were the last people to get there and so had to sit squashed in the back seat again (where there are 4 seats across instead of 3 like every other row) so we were so squashed for the whole way.

It was some drive. The roads were SO windy. We were constantly being thrust from one side to the other. It was very scenic however, the mountains were beautiful. We saw so many villages that were literally perched between the edge of the road and a sheer drop! All the locals were cheerfully selling their produce in roadside stalls. We zoomed past most of this activity however. We had a crazy Scottish guy in the van with us too. He was an older guy and at first I felt a bit sorry for him because everyone was being a bit stink to him. Then I realised that he was actually a real idiot. He must have been on drugs of something. He kept going on about how great the roads were (but they were SO windy and in some places full of pot holes!) and also about potato flavored chips which was just the asian way to say ready salted. At the start of the trip he gave everyone motorbike names which was kind of funny. I was Indian (I choose my name after The Worlds Fastest Indian) and I think Steve was Ducati. It all started because one of the guys real name was Harley. It was about a 6 hour drive. On the way we stopped for food and Steve got some, I thought it looked dodgey so didn't eat any. We arrived quite late ans were dropped at the bus station out of town (this is always the case and then you have to pay for a tuk-tuk to take you into town) and got a room accorss from Johnny's which had been recommended to us but I wouldn't really recommend it. The next morning Steve woke up with the fast poos again. Poor Steve, he was SO sick. He was sick all that day and the next.

This is Vang Vieng.



2 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm going to say it again... I can't believe you're doing this. You are a wild girl! But I'm sure you are having a great time and enjoying every minute. I mean how many other people are ever going to get to experience such an adventure. Safe travels!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Caroline. I always love reading your comments. :) We are actually back in New Zealand now safe and sound but i had written all these posts and I could not add the photos because blogger was having some issues at the end of last year. So now I am adding all the posts from the end of our trip! I'm glad you enjoy reading them! :)

    ReplyDelete