Sunday 20 May 2012

A Sneak Thief in the Night.

Written 20th May 2012

You will have to wait a little bit to find out about the sneak thief because I am going to start where I left off. We left the campsite of the snowy fluff and drove on towards Venice but stopped and stayed the night at a random campsite in Comacchio. It had the best hot chocolate there. Mmm. And Steve finally got a good coffee in Italy! The next morning we drove to Venice. It was a nice day but we arrived in the early afternoon so decided to camp there for two nights so we could chill out for the rest of the day and do some laundry and then go to Venice the following day. We chose a place called Camping Fusina. It was right on the water with a view of Venice and a ferry right outside. 


We spent the afternoon chilling, and doing chores (we took up heaps of space with all our washing that hadn't been done since San Sebastian or before) then played a few games that night and hit the hay. The next morning we got up and headed for the ferry and Venice. When you are in Venice it really feels like you are on the other side of the world because the streets are made of water. And all the buildings are on the piss (Steve's words:)) I like the ancientness of the place. It is charmingly crumbled, weathered, and cracking. The back streets away from the throngs of tourists are nice. We walked to St. Marco's square and I wanted to feed the pidgins but now it is "strictly forbidden" so I could not. :( We wandered around a bit. Shared a pizza for lunch and ate some gillatto. Then we strolled through the back streets and saw a gondola building factory. We didn't go on the gondolas because they cost 80 Euro. We caught the ferry back to camping and did a bit of this and that and went to sleep at midnight. Here comes the part about the sneak thief...
In the morning I woke up and went to get something out of my bag, (which was right next to me and never leaves my side as it contains my camera and wallet etc, and I have been paranoid about it leaving my side since we got robbed in Morocco) and it wasn't there. I frowned in confusion and fumbled through my discarded clothes which I had put next to and on top of it when I went to sleep. It was not there. I was starting to feel a little alarmed as I knew my bag should be there but my brain was still a little bleary with sleep and I was wondering if I had put it somewhere else out of the norm. Then I remembered that I had got my lip balm out of it just before I turned out the light and replaced it before going to sleep. I fumbled through my clothes again searching in vain. Definitely alarmed now I asked Steve (who was stirring due to my adjusted search through the tent) "Have you seen my bag!" Steve was immediately concerned as like I said earlier my bag never leaves me and I know where it is every second of the day. He sat up and started searching on his side. It began to dawn on us that while we were sleeping someone had broken into out tent and stolen my bag all without waking us. It is not a big tent. It is hard to imagine it is possible. We searched again. No luck. We had been robbed. AGAIN. We walked to the reception to tell them what had happened and ask about where a police station was. When I got to the window I saw my bag on a table in there. They said it had been found an hour earlier and handed in. My new camera that I have had since San Sebastian was gone. I am so gutted. But I was glad to get my bag back with my wallet and Steve's passport. But it sucks! I am so gutted that my new camera got stolen. And all our photos from the last few days including the nice ones from Venice were on there. Stink one! The creepiest thing is that someone broke into our tent and we didn't even know! Obviously a pro. The guy at the office was really nice. He didn't make us pay for our camping and he gave us an hour of WiFi to use for free so we could call home. After packing up we went to the police station and made our statement to the Italian speaking policeman. Luckily he had an English form I could fill out.
After that we were ready to get out of Italy. We drove to Ljubljana in Slovenia and found a place to stay. Slovenia is a beautiful country. We really like it here. We went into town and treated ourselves to a nice dinner. 



We shared a deer goulash with cranberries and a pizza. Yum! It was tasty. The deer goulash is a Slovenian dish. Next giallatto. It was gooood. And cheeper than Italy too. There was a big soccer match on telly that everyone was watching and also a basketball thing with loud music pumping in the middle of town. We watched that a bit and some hot dancing girls. Then headed back to the hotel. 
Here is a cool dragon on the bridge.


This morning we got up and went up to see the castle. It was nice and had a good view.



A nice lady took a few pictures of us... this was the best one. :)


We bought some yummy cherries from a stall on the side of the road. Mmmmm.


Next we drove to Bled. It is very beautiful here. I am even more gutted that my camera has been stolen because I have seen tones of things that I wanted to take pictures of. The lake a a clear green and there are cute little ducklings in it. And fish you can see. And swans, geese, big ducks. There is an island in the middle of to with a little church. If you ring the bell 3 times you can make a wish. :) Maybe I will wish for my camera back! We went to our hostel and then drove to Vintgar which is a stunning valley with a fresh turquoise river flowing through it. We walked along the track, explored the woods on the other side, and then walked back again. It was really fun being out in nature and enjoying the beautiful scenery whilst getting some exercise.

















  Tonight we hung out down at the lake and ate kababs and ice cream (and beer for Steve). It has a castle perched above it too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment